17 January 2008

Radiohead at 93 Feet East

Let's start at the beginning.

So yesterday morning after we had watched Jeremy Kyle I was checking my news feeds and I stumbled across the news of yesterday's Radiohead gig. For the next hour, I was absolutely torn as to whether to go or not. Purely for the reason that if I went and didn't get into the gig I would be quite disappointed...but in the end, me and my girlfriend decided to go for it. If we missed out, we had a Pizza Express voucher waiting to be used, of all things to fall back on.

So we left on our journey which took us on bus, train, tube and foot to the venue location which was the Rough Trade store at Brick Lane. There were already about 100 people in the line already so we settled into the queue, talked to randomers - what you would usually do if faced in a situation where you have to queue for others.

I also made a couple of excursions into the Rough Trade store. The first trip was to buy the Radiohead single on CD and vinyl. The second was just to look around. Both times I was in there there was some soundchecking taking place. The second time I was in there I am pretty sure I spotted Phil, the drummer of Radiohead, talking to someone. I stood literally for about two seconds and then walked out because I was too chicken to even ask. What a missed oppurtunity.

So we waited until about quarter to six when the wristbands were being given out. Me and Aino got ours as did the people who we were talking to throughout the day. At that point, we suddenly realised how much of a fuss this had become. There were loads more than 200 people there (I think that was the amount of wristbands given out). Doors were supposed to open at 7pm. Twenty minutes after that, we were told by a bouncer that the venue was changed to 93 Feet East, literally round the corner from Rough Trade, and it would be at 9pm. We went to that venue before the mass stampede and were pretty much told to bugger off.

So me and my girlfriend went to an Internet cafe at the top of Brick Lane and stayed there for about an hour. Whilst we were there, we noticed some couple followed us there. The guy of this couple actually asked if he could jump in the queue but we said fuck off. He then loitered around the queue and was generally very creepy. We found out towards the end of our cafe stint that they were making fake wristbands so that they could try to get in. So, once we made our way back to 93 Feet East, we told security and they thanked us.

It was still very hectic in that area when we got back. Loads and loads of people without wristbands were there and a few photographers from the press as well. There was even a dude with an acoustic guitar singing Radiohead with others. Weird. We joined the queue to get in and as it turned out we were the last group to be allowed in. We waited for a further hour in the garden near the bar and briefly cheered when we saw Thom making his way into the building.

At around just after 10pm we were allowed in slowly. People with fakes were being turned away. We got in and made our way as close as we could to Jonny's side of the stage. The band came on at 10:15pm and the set began as me and Aino took our places setting on the table top of the bar. Finally.

The gig itself was absolutely brilliant. The whole of In Rainbows was played as the main set. Considering a lot of their usual gear (Thom's piano, Jonny's Ondes Martenot, Jonny's synths, kaoss pads and tons more) was not used they were on the money. Obviously, some temporary measures had to be put in place. Thom's piano on All I Need was replaced by an electric guitar, the piano on Videotape was replaced with a Rhodes keyboard and Jonny's Martenot sounds were replaced by just an electric guitar.

Highlights of that part of the set included Bodysnatchers, which was made of RAWK, Nude, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Reckoner and Jigsaw Falling Into Place. Even though Videotape is now probably my favourite Radiohead song I prefer it with piano.

They came did a five-song encore. Thom came out first to do a solo acoustic version of Up On The Ladder, which is on the discbox CD. Very, very nice. And then it was onto the oldies. You & Whose Army? from Amnesiac was excellent, The National Anthem from Kid A was frantic but the real treat was the last two songs - My Iron Lung and The Bends. It made the hours of waiting worthwhile. Both songs were amazing and went down a storm with the crowd.

The band looked incredibly happy and they were really enjoying it. Joking with each other throughout the gig, as well as the crowd. This is the first small gig that the band have done since their appearance on the Later program in 2001 and I still find the idea of a small Radiohead gig surreal. But it was totally worth it.

I think the police and the security team need a shout out too. They handled last night incredibly well given the circumstances and I don't think they put a foot wrong. They were also quite jovial at times and very friendly and helpful.

That's pretty much it. If you haven't checked out the gig yet then your YouTube link is here.

Setlist in full was:

15 Step
Bodysnatchers
Nude
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
All I Need
Faust Arp
Reckoner
House Of Cards
Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Videotape
-----
Up On The Ladder
You & Whose Army?
The National Anthem
My Iron Lung
The Bends

Radiohead's official website
DIGG IT!

No comments: