2 May 2008

Odds & Ends for 2nd May 2008

Some observations from the week just gone:

White Williams is an artist who I was going to profile this week, but things got in the way and I've left it on the side for the time being. Probably not a wise move, since I've just learned that, as well as supporting Vampire Weekend in the UK very soon, he's going to support Nine Inch Nails this summer. What a gig for him eh? He joins Crystal Castles, Deerhunter, A Place To Bury Strangers and Does It Offend You, Yeah?

Things have been pretty quiet on the gig going front recently but in just under a couple of weeks time I will be celebrating my freedom from uni for the summer with a trip to the Hammersmith Apollo to see The Raconteurs. Fact fans may want to take note that I actually saw Brendan Benson play that venue before, supporting Beck in 2005, which feels like a decade ago. Expect a review of that gig in about a couple of weeks. The NME have hinted that the live shows still feel like a Jack White side project, so it'll be interesting to see if that is the case.

Music that I've been listening to:
  • Dawn Landes - New York singer songwriter whose song Bodyguard was today's free mp3 on Spinner. There's some pretty darn good potential there, and I'll be looking into her in the near-future.
  • Fifths Of Sevens - this was from Jackdaws Love, who describes it music pretty well, and it's quite a lovely piece of instrumental music. Again, I'll have to check out more of these guys.
  • Wolf Parade - they have a new album out soon called Meet At Mount Zoomer and I've listened to a new song entitled Call It A Ritual (link via Stereogum). It's pretty damn good.
DIGG IT!

No comments: