27 February 2008

Guy Hands: The saviour of EMI?

Today I had a chance to read an article on Rolling Stone's website, for some reason dated into the future (6th March 2008). It was a brief one about the plans that Guy Hands has up his sleeve for EMI. Many people were very critical of him for taking charge of a business in an industry he knows very little about and some wondered whether EMI would just collapse under his leadership.

I'm starting to think he is going to prove his doubters wrong in parts.

I think his ideas for the future of EMI make rather good business sense. When a company like EMI is losing millions upon millions of dollars then you have to cut the crap essentially. Marketing that wasn't needed HAS to be cut down. Salaries HAVE to be cut. Artists who under perform, no matter how good they are, HAVE to be let go.

However, he still has some flaws in his plan. I think the idea of continuing re-hashing former glories like The Beatles and Radiohead as plain dumb. That and I've never been keen on the idea of having corporate sponsors putting their brand on music.

I think he's headling along the right lines and if he can get rid of the plans mentioned above, then he has the potential to make EMI a formidable force in the industry once more. But it's going to take A LOT of work.

DIGG IT!

1 comment:

Danger Richman said...

Hi,

My name is Eddie. I enjoy your blog. I recently started my own blog about movies. I noticed you were submitting your blog to digg without much success. I've had the same problem. Digg is a very difficult site to break into. So, I started a google group for bloggers and once enough members join, we can all start digging each other's submissions and everyone will get more traffic. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, email me back at danieldayblood@gmail.com and I'll link you to the group. If not, no worries.

Best regards,
Eddie