14 March 2008

The Astoria faces closure - another hammer blow for live music?

I've only been to the London Astoria once, and that was when I saw Patrick Wolf nearly a year ago. It was an enjoyable time had by all (even me, which was amazing considering how struck down I was with illness). So imagine my sadness and slight anger when I found out today that Mayor Ken Livingstone has no intentions whatsoever to save the venue from fear of demolition.

It's not so much the actual venue closure I'm angry about, but merely the fact that London has lost yet another venue. Last year, the Hammersmith Palais closed down to make way for office blocks. The Electric Ballroom in Camden is also a venue frought with danger from London transport bosses, as they seek to extend the tube station, which sits right next to the venue.

Not so long ago I remember reading a report - I think it was by the Live Music Forum, but I don't think that is the case - saying that more venues need to be saved from closure. I can't agree more. My current fear at the moment is that venues will increasingly be demolished without a new plan to build new venues. Ken Livingstone is pledging to protect more venues from being closed but I don't believe him for a second that this promise will be foreven unbroken. He's one of the most untrusting politicians I have ever seen.

But yeah, RIP Astoria. It was only one time but it was one good, joyous time.

DIGG IT!

No comments: