9 March 2008

GIG REVIEW - Apocalyptica at Kentish Town Forum

You might be asking why the hell I went to see Apocalyptica on Friday night, especially when you bare in mind that I hadn't heard any of their music apart from the comic extravanganza that was Eurovision 2007. It's simple really:

1) My girlfriend is Finnish.
2) A friend of my girlfriend flew in from Finland for a short holiday and we decided to give her an idea of the British gigging scene...by seeing a band from her own country.

Makes sense now? Good.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see much of the support band, Oceansize. Someone from uni today, who has his own music blog for you to read if you click this link, said that they weren't really that good live but on record they sound great. So far his theory has been proved right. The couple of songs I did see didn't really interest me that much, but I'm gonna download something by them soon to see if they do indeed sound good on record.

Then it was onto to the main act. I think musically they were very tight and accomplished. I don't think that their set persuaded me to buy any of their albums but I did enjoy myself because they gave it their all and really lapped up the crowd support (more on that in a bit). And that is sometimes what I need after a long, long day of work and travel. Something that, whilst I wouldn't ever get into fully and would never really consider seeing again, was fun. I thought the way that one of the guys pronounced the venue name ("Foooooooruuuuuum!") was very funny. Bless their English.

The crowd were another reason as to why the gig was good. Most people say London crowds are tame and I've seen plenty of examples of this. The crowd at the Fooooooooooruuuuuum though were brilliant. They even played their part in singing along to the tracks that would normally have lyrics - the best examples of such sing-a-longs include Seek & Destroy and the cover of Metallica's Enter Sandman.

The sound quality was also surprisingly good. For some reason, when I last went there to see Franz Ferdinand in August 2006 - a gig dampened by piss poor sound, I was expecting the worse, but I could hear everything properly. Awesome.

The setlist, courtesy of someone I asked on Last FM:

Worlds Collide
Refuse/Resist
I’m Not Jesus
Grace
Master Of Puppets
SOS
Path
Betrayal
Bittersweet
Helden
Life Burns
Last Hope
Seek And Destroy
Inquisition Symphony
--
Enter Sandman
Hall Of The Mountain King
--
Seemann

No pictures from me unfortunately this time because, from where I was, I didn't think I would get anything remotely close to decent. Best pictures I've found so far though can be found here.

Apocalyptica

DIGG IT!

No comments: